I love the Thanksgiving season. It seems silly to be more thankful this time of year, because shouldn’t we be grateful year-round?
Of course, yes, but there is something special floating around in the crisp, November and December air that makes me extra thankful. This special something in the air makes me especially attentive, aware, and receptive to all the blessings around me. This could be just me, but I have a hunch I’m not the only one who notices it.
To kick off the 2017 Season of Thanksgiving, I’m sharing 17 reasons I am grateful. Obviously there are so many more, but I have to end this post at some point. In my sharing, I hope you feel convicted to notice and appreciate all the blessings in your life, too. Maybe take some time to write down your reasons of gratitude. If you’re open to sharing, I would love to read them in the comment section below.
So, here we go:
- Jesus!- First and foremost, I am beyond grateful for Jesus- who He is, what He did, and who I am in Him. But lately, I’ve learned to treasure my quiet time with Him every morning. It isn’t usually for very long, but it’s those peaceful moments that get me through the rest of my day. I’m so thankful for my Jesus time.
- Marriage with Blake– What a sweet, sweet blessing it is to be married. For me, it’s not just being married, but being married to Blake. It’s only been 3 months of marriage, but every day (the good and the bad ones) is such a joy. I couldn’t be more grateful to do life with my best friend.
- The Newlywed Class– Towards the end of our engagement and once we were both living in the same city, Blake and I started attending a “Newlywed (And Close)” class at our church. Every Sunday, surrounded by other newlyweds or engaged couples, we learn practical, yet biblical lessons about being married. From managing finances to handling the holidays as a married couple, our “mentor” couples share all sorts of extremely valuable advice with us. This class has been a huge blessing in our marriage, and not to mention, all the wonderful, sweet friends we’ve met along the way! Speaking of…
- New Friends– Living in a new city means a whole lot of “new” things, including new community. The Lord has blessed me incredibly with genuine, Jesus-loving, fun-having friends over the past few months. It makes my heart so happy just thinking about it!
- Family- Everyone who knows me well, knows how much my family means to me. I wouldn’t be who I am without them. Simple as that. They are my people and always will be. My family is genuinely one of life’s greatest blessings!
- My Passion for Food- I’m beginning to realize that not everyone loves food like I do. Blake is one of those people. (He can eat ground turkey and brown rice every night. Me? No way, Jose.) But, I am so thankful for my passion for food. It is such a pleasure to truly taste and enjoy good food and drink. Plus, I love seizing opportunities to share my passion with others by spoiling them with a delicious recipes. Some of my favorites to share are Paleo Pecan Pie Bars and Hearty & Healthy Turkey Chili!
- Long-Distance Friendships- My girls back home in California are some of the sweetest, fun-loving gals you will ever meet. They were by my side during my move to Texas, throughout mine and Blake’s engagement, on my wedding day, and they continue to be my best friends even though we’re thousands of miles apart. Their regular phone calls and text messages just to check in mean the world to me.
- Mama Bear– I mentioned family and friends, so I couldn’t fail to mention the person who falls into both categories. My mom has always been my best friend, while truly being the best mom in the world. She is the Lorelai to my Rory.
- Our First Apartment- It isn’t luxurious or brand new. Nor is it filled with Crate & Barrel and William Sonoma. But, it’s stuffed full with love and it’s a tangible reward for mine and Blake’s hard work. I love our little, cozy, memory-filled home.
- Health- Although I’ve had my fair share of health struggles over the past few years, which can be exhausting, aggravating, and frustrating, I am so thankful that over all, I am healthy. I am breathing, my heart is beating, I can see and hear, and so much more. It’s easy to take something for granted when it’s such a constant in your life, like being healthy, until you no longer have it. So this year, I am extra grateful for the health Jesus has blessed me with.
- Treasured Tablespoons- This blog has turned into my biggest creative outlet. Don’t ask me to paint a picture or write a song, but I’ll write and bake all day long (apparently I can rhyme though ;)). Writing new content and creating healthy recipes keeps me on my toes, learning and striving to be better. Treasured Tablespoons allows me to do what I love almost every single day.
- Social Media- There are definitely pros and cons to social media, but I do have to say, I’m a fan (in moderation). Thanks to Instagram, I met my husband and many other friends. Also, it helps me network with other bloggers/companies, allowing me to further my work in Treasured Tablespoons.
- The Most Perfect Wedding- When your wedding day arrives, you can only hope and dream that it’s everything you’ve ever wanted- that all the hours of hard work and detailed planning will pay off. I thank the Lord that my wedding was above and beyond what I had hoped for. It was better than my wildest dreams. Everything was perfect- the people, the food, the small details, and especially the groom. I suffer from major nostalgia every time I think back to that day.
- No Puppy, No Kids– If you’ve spent any time with me over the past year, you know I would love to have a puppy. However, I’ve come to realize that I would theoretically love to have a puppy. Same with babies. I CANNOT WAIT ’til that time comes knocking at the Cummins door, but that moment is not now. I love my one-on-one time with Blake at the end of the day, our flexibility to travel whenever we want, and an apartment that is often pretty clean. I’m so thankful for this time because I know it won’t last forever.
- Hot Cups of Coffee– I just love my morning cup of Joe. When I get home from the gym in the morning, I go straight to the hot pot full of freshly brewed deliciousness. I savor every sip, making last through breakfast, my quiet time, and getting ready. I usually take my last sip as I head out the door. It’s a great start to every morning!
- This Is Us- Is anyone else hooked on this show?! Every Tuesday, I impatiently wait for a new episode to air that evening. There is something about TV shows that successfully grab a hold of my emotions, making it feel so real. It’s such talent and creativity. I’m definitely grateful for good entertainment.
- Cool Weather- I love cool weather. So much. I don’t think I even realized how much until I moved to Texas. Most people have lifted spirits during the warm, sunny, Summer days. Well, my heart is feels that happiness during the cool, crisp Fall and Winter air. Maybe because it gives me a good excuse to bundle up, drink something warm, start a fire in the fireplace, bake a favorite dessert (like Kitchen Sink Cookies or Cinnamon Pecan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread) and cuddle up with my hubby.
Alright, that makes 17…. Now it’s your turn!