Over Thanksgiving week, while Blake and I were visiting my family and friends in California, we ate pizza 4 times. Yes, 4. Coming from someone who almost never eats pizza, this was pizza overload. Not because I don’t love pizza (because I most certainly do), but because it’s heavy, greasy, and full of calories. Again, I love this hot, cheesy deliciousness, but 4 times in one week was a little much.
The final time we consumed pizza that week, I looked at Blake and said, “I need to start making pizza salads. All the flavors of pizza without the greasiness and extra calories from pounds of cheese and crust.” Trust me when I say, I am not knocking pizza, nor trying to make you feel guilty for eating pizza. But, you know me, I’m an advocate of moderation and like having a healthier option on stand-by.
Have you been to MOD pizza? If so, you know that you can create your own pizza salad, which is absolutely delicious! It’s basically all the pizza toppings and sauce in a bowl. This recipe is basically a homemade MOD salad. It’s packed with micro nutrients and protein, making for a fulfilling lunch or dinner.
- 4 cups spinach or mixed greens
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz artichoke hearts, chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded OR goat cheese, crumbles
- 16 oz your choice of meat, precooked*
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce or 1/4 cup pesto
- To assemble your salad, place your choice of lettuce greens in a large bowl. Add black olives, bell pepper, artichoke, mushrooms, and your choice of meat.
- On top, sprinkle with cheese and drizzle the pizza sauce or pesto.
- *I like a combination of Canadian bacon, sausage, and chicken. Shredded chicken in my favorite!