Let’s be real for a second. One of the biggest challenges to overcome when adopting a healthy “diet” and lifestyle is sticking to it when your spouse or family members aren’t on board, too. (And by “diet,” I don’t mean the traditional definition of the word “diet,” I mean making healthier choices and being aware of appropriate portion sizes.) Unfortunately, I think this challenge is something far too many individuals can relate to. Now that I work with multiple clients in-person every day, I’m learning about the most common, hardest aspects of the journey to fat-loss and healthy living. And this specific struggle, feeling a lack of support from your closest family and friends, is probably the one I hear about most often. But, I’m here to help you change that!
The only solution I have to this ever-frustrating hiccup in your lifestyle change is to make recipes that are healthy and still absolutely delicious. The key is to find healthy recipes in disguise. That is, recipes that aren’t noticeably healthy to those who are determined to fight the more-veggies-less-processed-foods mantra. No more cooking two different meals to please the whole family, because dinner can be healthy and yummy!
This Protein-Packed Bacon Ranch Wrap is a lunch or dinner that will make the whole family happy. With less fat and calories, and packed with more protein, this recipe will keep your tummy full and satisfied, while also pleasing those taste buds! I recommend serving this wrap with a side salad, homemade Sweet Potato Fries or chips, or plantain chips.
This recipe calls for whole wheat tortillas. However, you can easily make this recipe Paleo-friendly and gluten free, buy using Siete’s Coconut Flour Wraps or making your own high-protein, 3-Ingredient Flatbread from A Big Man’s World. Also, one of my new favorite product lines, Primal Kitchen, makes the best Paleo & Whole 30-approved Ranch Dressing. If you are not following a Paleo or Whole 30 diet, you can use regular ranch dressing, but I would highly recommend giving the Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing a shot!
- 16 oz lean ground turkey*
- 4 slices natural bacon, or turkey bacon (I like Smithfield's Natural)
- 4 whole wheat wraps or tortillas (For Paleo or Gluten Free, see below**)
- 2 tbs Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing***
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place bacon strips in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until brown in color, and flip. Continue to cook until crispy and light brown. Set aside, let cool, and pat off excess grease with paper towels.
- Using paper towels, wipe out some of the bacon grease from the pan, leaving just a little amount to cook the turkey with. Be careful to not burn yourself. Add ground turkey to the pan and cook over medium heat. Using a spatula, break up turkey into small crumbles. Season with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside.
- Chop the cooked bacon into little pieces and add to the ground turkey. Once the meat mixture is slightly cooled, add in the ranch dressing and mix.
- Meanwhile, prepare each tortilla with 1/2 cup spinach leaves and a few red onion slices. Top with 1/4 of the meat mixture, wrap up the tortilla, and serve. I like serving mine with plantain chips.
- *I like to combine extra lean (97%) and lean (93%) ground turkey. I buy one 16 oz package of each, mix them together, divide the meat in half, store half in the freezer for a later date, and cook the remaining half.
- **For Paleo or Gluten Free wraps, I recommend using Siete's Coconut Flour Wraps or homemade Paleo Flatbread. See the links above the recipe card.
- ***See link above recipe card.